Saturday, July 16, 2005

6:20am Japan:
I’m awake, have a full tummy, and am just generally in high spirits. The last hour or two on the train last night were almost akin to torture – it was that difficult to stay awake. My train came in an hour earlier than planned, so I called Alex’s cell from a pay phone. My calling card wouldn’t work without the card itself (I just have the number). I stood outside and had a cigarette while waiting for him to come get me, and my calves were trembling. It’s a short walk from the train station to Alex’s apartment. He gave me a short tour then put me to bed. I woke up at 5am local time which I think is very good. That’s what time the cats wake me up at home, and means I probably got six to seven hours of sleep. It gives me a lot of hope that my internal clock will re-adjust without too much trouble. I just ate two bowls of granola-y cereal in soymilk, not so traditionally Japanese, and am really wanting a cigarette right about now. Alex’s shower is like a hip bath with a little hot water heater next to it with a handheld shower attachment. I’m thinking just a sponge bath kinda thing until my hair needs washing. And no, I don’t know why strange plumbing intimidates me so.

No comments: