Wednesday, July 20, 2005

4:05pm
On the Rapid (a touch faster than Local) back to Kyoto. Nara is fantastic. I could have easily done with an extra day, or even two. I initially sat down in a backward facing seat, which was nice for saying goodbye to Nara. I just switched to a forward facing seat. I’m in the first set of seats in the lead car. There’s no one across from me so not only can I see what’s coming out the side windows but also out the front. Fantastic but a little nerve wracking when there’s a fast approaching train on the neighboring track. It’s close enough that if the window opened (which it doesn’t) and I stuck my arm out (which I wouldn’t) I could touch the other train as it passed. There are two safety (reflective vests and hard hats) looking guys in the cabin with the conductor... I wasn’t worried yet.. And they just got off. It almost feels as if they just hitched a lift. I know I’m really going to treasure this later but I have moments of shaking myself to remind myself to take a break and look out the window. Having all my memories be of writing in this book is no good.

No comments: